Open plan office noise
“Office noise.” That’s the answer most employees give in response to working in an open plan area. Now, there are many advantages to working in an open plan office: it breaks down the walls of hierarchy between staff and management, it maximizes space and saves on construction costs. However, the long-term effect is dealing with office noise. The ability to concentrate, talk on the phone or have an impromptu meeting – without bothering your colleagues – can be a problem.
Office noise solution
The solution? Soundproof pods. Sounds futuristic right? Yet, more offices now use pods as an alternative to building out telephone rooms.
WSG is excited to be working with Framery Acoustics, a Finnish-based company taking soundproof acoustics by storm. Their cutting edge pods are designed to accommodate one or more people. Framery is a Herman Miller alliance partner.
“WSG is all about providing great furniture solutions for our clients, and Framery fits right into that philosophy,” says Mitchell Cohen, Dealer Principal, Workspace Group (WSG). “The Framery pods are easily placed and relocated around an office using the existing floor plan. Plus, our expert installation team can assemble a pod within one working day.”
The Cone of Silence
“Sound isolated workspaces are ideal for private phone calls, video conferences, demanding tasks and small meetings,” says Kendryn Hutt, Sales Director, Canada, Framery. “It cuts down the noise in open plan offices and improves the everyday life of entire organizations.”
Research on noise
Noise has become such an issue that researchers are now looking at the impact of its negative effects. Some of these statistics really surprised us at WSG:
- Firstly, noise is a stressor and sound affects us cognitively, psychologically and behaviourally
- Excessive noise and distractions can negatively affect productivity, well-being, happiness and even physical health
- Workers can be up to 66% less productive even when exposed to even one nearby conversation
- Humans have the bandwidth for roughly 1.6 conversations at a time. So, when you hear someone else’s conversation, then 1% of your bandwidth is being used. This leaves you with only .6% capacity left to listen to your own inner voice
- Finally, employees working in the open plan take 70% more sick days than home workers
Try the Framery Pod
WSG invites you to try Framery for yourself, in fact, we are now booking appointments showcasing the Q Telephone Pod. Contact WSG to get your office on our schedule.